HonestReporting published their ‘Top 10 Media Fails of the Gaza War‘ and the Guardian claimed the number 5 and 9 slots.
Placing at number 5 was Steve Bell’s cartoon of hapless British statesmen being controlled by a seemingly omnipotent Jewish leader.
HonestReporting’s Alex Margolin wrote the following about the cartoon:
“When it comes to building a Hall of Shame in coverage of the media war against Israel, you can always count on The Guardian to compete for a high place on the list. And this year is no exception.
This cartoon of Benjamin Netanyahu published on the first days of the war offers so many different aspects of media bias, it’s hard to pick out the worst ones. Start with a classic anti-Semitic trope of Israel manipulating and controlling Western leaders. Then there is the strong implication that the real motive behind Israel’s operation is to manipulate the election.”
Seumas Milne’s essay’s explicitly endorsing the right of Palestinians to kill Israelis placed at number 9.
It takes a man of extraordinary bias to look at thousands of rockets flying into Israeli cities, and to conclude, despite all evidence, that it’s the Palestinians and not the Israelis who have the right to defend themselves. Seamus Milne is that kind of man.
“To portray Israel as some kind of victim with every right to “defend itself” from attack from “outside its borders” is a grotesque inversion of reality,” he writes, dismissing the 2005 withdrawal from Gaza as irrelevant.
“So Gazans are an occupied people and have the right to resist, including by armed force (though not to target civilians), while Israel is an occupying power that has an obligation to withdraw – not a right to defend territories it controls or is colonising by dint of military power,” he adds.
It’s unclear which war Milne is watching, but the Palestinian attacks consisted of nothing but attacks on civilians and Israel has already withdrawn entirely from Gaza. Talk about a grotesque inversion of reality, Seamus…you lead the way in showing how it’s done.
You can read the complete top 10 list here.
If you recall, the Guardian was also the undisputed winner of HonestReporting’s 2011 ‘Dishonest Reporting’ Award.
- ‘Comment is Free’ contributor John Pilger spins lies about Gaza War casualties (cifwatch.com)
- Following CiF Watch post, Guardian corrects John Pilger’s false casualty figures from Gaza War (cifwatch.com)
- Seumas Milne tells thousands at London rally that Palestinians have a right to kill Israelis (cifwatch.com)
- The Guardian’s Seumas Milne defends Palestinians’ right to kill Israelis (cifwatch.com)
- Two footballers cited by Chris McGreal as endorsers of anti-Israel petition flatly deny signing it (cifwatch.com)
- The Guardian preaches propaganda about Gaza war to teaching professionals (cifwatch.com)
- BBC-quotee Seumas Milne whipping up the crowd against Israel (bbcwatch.org)
Categories: Category not assigned