News that Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu announced the start of planning for home construction in the area known as E-1, between Jerusalem and Ma’ale Adumim, received saturation coverage at the Guardian.
Between Dec. 1 and Dec. 4, the Guardian’s coverage included an official editorial, analysis by Middle East editor, Ian Black, reports by Harriet Sherwood, a ‘Live Blog‘ on the announcement and political fallout, a photo story and a video.
The coverage almost exclusively advanced the narrative that plans to eventually build homes in E-1 would represent a death knell to the Two State Solution, would literally cut the West Bank in two, and would deny access to eastern Jerusalem to West Bank Palestinians.
Here’s a statistical and narrative summary of the Guardian’s coverage of E-1
- Total number of words in Guardian reports, analyses and commentaries on E-1 : Nearly 8,000
- Total number of separate reports or commentaries on E-1: 14
- Number of reports or commentaries which were mostly or entirely negative towards Israeli plans: 13*
- Number of false allegations suggesting that E-1 construction would cut the West Bank in two, or would cut off eastern Jerusalem from the West Bank: 7
- Number of times the above allegations, suggesting that E-1 would cut the WB in two, and cut eastern Jerusalem from the WB, were refuted by someone sympathetic to E-1: 1
- Number of times it was argued that E-1 construction would make the creation of a viable and contiguous Palestinian state impossible or undermine the ‘Peace Process': 30
- Number of times the above allegations, suggesting that E-1 jeopardizes the ‘Peace Process’, were refuted: 1
- Number of times it was noted that E-1 construction represented an Israeli consensus: 1
*Harriet Sherwood’s Dec. 3 report was somewhat balanced.
- Harriet Sherwood falsely claims Israeli construction will cut E. Jerusalem off from West Bank (cifwatch.com)
- Harriet Sherwood gets it right (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian interrupts ‘live blog’ on Mid-East uprisings with news that Jews may build homes (cifwatch.com)
- Harriet Sherwood cherry picks results of poll to smear Israel with ‘apartheid’ label (cifwatch.com)
- Does the Guardian own a map? Op-Ed falsely claims E-1 would cut West Bank in two (cifwatch.com)
- Harriet Sherwood, Palestinian terrorism and the lessons the Guardian Left will never learn (cifwatch.com)
- Harriet Sherwood and impediments to peace in the Mid-East, real and imagined (cifwatch.com)
Categories: Category not assigned