The last time we posted about the annual report on antisemitic discourse in Britain by the Community Security Trust (the charity organisation advising British Jews on matters of security and antisemitism) we focused on the fact that the Guardian was singled out for opprobrium.
In fact, CST devoted an entire section of their 21 page report to the Guardian, noting that “in 2011, the Guardian faced more accusations of antisemitism than any other mainstream UK newspaper.” Specifically, CST focused on an article by Chris McGreal characterizing US government support for Israel as “slavish” and a widely condemned ‘chosen people‘ slur by columnist Deborah Orr.
In the latest CST report on antisemitic discourse, released just today, the Guardian again was singled out.
Specifically, the CST wrote the following:
The largest antisemitism-related controversy concerning mainstream media content in 2012 was a cartoon in the Guardian, by Steve Bell. This depicted Tony Blair and Foreign Secretary William Hague MP as glove puppets of the Israeli Prime Minister. Bell resolutely denied any antisemitic intent and the cartoon was not removed.
The CST report also singled out a ‘Comment is Free’ commentary by Juan Cole, and included the following:
An intervention by CST caused the Guardian Comment is Free website to partly amend an article that had echoed antisemitic charges of Jewish conspiracy and warmongering.
Also of note, Robert Fisk was singled out for making “a highly insulting allegation about people supposedly being called antisemitic Nazis for writing the “truth” about Israel.”
(CAMERA posts about Robert Fisk can be found here)
- Guardian cartoonist draws upon antisemitic stereotypes in depicting Henry Kissinger (cifwatch.com)
- Jonathan Freedland’s antisemitism blind spot (cifwatch.com)
- In Praise of the EUMC Working Definition of Antisemitism (cifwatch.com)
- No reports of Jewish riots after grossly antisemitic show begins airing on Arab TV (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian ‘Australia Edition’ fails to cover vicious antisemitic attack in Sydney (cifwatch.com)
- Preview of official survey on European antisemitism (cifwatch.com)
- Antisemitic reporter Mira Bar-Hillel pens op-ed (on antisemitism!) for The Independent (cifwatch.com)