Though the Guardian’s editorial (Syria: Russia on the wrong side, Feb. 7), critical of Russia (and China) for preventing the adoption of a watered down UN Security Council Resolution condemning Syria for its continuing civilian massacres, didn’t – unlike David Hearst – weave Israel into the narrative, that didn’t stop committed CiF readers from unleashing their righteous anger in a Zionist direction.
Here’s a comment by “PeteLoud” on Israeli control of U.S. and (therefore) UK foreign policy:
Yeah, I know, another day, another obsessive anti-Zionist conspiracy theory. Why sweat it? Well, occasionally such Israel Obsessive Compulsive Disorder-ridden CiFers can elicit quite pithy rejoinders, such as the following:
Further, PeteLoud’s original comment hasn’t been deleted and more than a few other commenters managed to weave Israel into the conversation. So, considering that ‘Comment is Free’ has a staff of moderators whose job it is to delete hateful and off-topic comments, it doesn’t seem, based on my review of the 178 comments so far, that they’ve done a very good job.
I’ll resist my urge to use the site Wordle again, but here are the results of my quick search on the number of times the following words have been used beneath the line:
As China was one of the antagonists in the Guardian editorial, and Israel has nothing whatsoever to do with the broader issue, it’s fair to say the Guardian’s professional moderators haven’t done a very good job of keeping the conversation on topic.
But, the story doesn’t end here.
I clicked on the link provided in PeteLoud’s ‘Comments is Free’ user profile, which took me to his personal website. And, it looks like Peter Loud (evidently his real name) is a lover of maps, photographs, and edgy political imagery.
Here’s a snapshot of the bottom of his home page:
As if we needed further evidence that our friend Pete sees Israel as a Nazi state, here’s a passage from his site’s “Palestine page“:
Quite simply Israel and U.S.A. are evil just as Nazi Germany and the Khmer Rouge were before them.
Yesterday, as I wrote that, the Israelis were firing tank shells into a U.N. school in which civilians were sheltering. At least 40 were killed and another 55 wounded. As I said, Israel and America who provided them with the weapons are evil terrorist states.
* The Guardian – Gaza’s day of carnage – 40 dead as Israelis bomb two UN schools
* The Independent – Robert Fisk: Why do they hate the West so much, we will ask – This is essential reading
* The Guardian – Israel accused of delaying medical access to injured
* The Guardian – Israel shelled Palestinians after evacuating them, UN says
The fact that three out of four of Pete’s recommended links to prove Israel’s Nazi nature are from the Guardian are, OF COURSE, of no particular significance.
- Guardian’s David Hearst equates Israeli war against Hezbollah to Syria’s ongoing civilian massacre (cifwatch.com)
- You know you’re an antisemitic Guardian reader when…you defend Gilad Atzmon (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian Reader Comment of the Day: Israel Obsession “Rorschach Test” Edition (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian publishes letter by supporter of Gilad Atzmon, refuses to publish rebuttal (cifwatch.com)
- Anti-Zionist CiF commenter accuses CiF Watch of the insidious tactic of trying to “sway” opinion (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian suddenly feels need to FACT CHECK allegations of human rights violations in Mid-East (cifwatch.com)